If you have private health insurance with obstetrics cover, your hospital stay is covered by your private health fund. We recommend contacting your health fund as soon as possible with details about the expected birth of your baby. The following services will be included in your hospital fees:
- Accommodation in our private rooms with queen beds and ensuites (approximately 3-4 nights for vaginal delivery and 4-5 nights for c-section delivery). Please note that additional nights are unfortunately not possible unless there is a medical issue that requires the provision of additional care
- Birth suite and/or theatre costs
- Care and support from our team of experienced midwives
- Visit from specialist women’s health physiotherapist
- Nappies and wipes for the duration of your stay
Additional charges may relate to:
- Your excess and/or co-payments
- Partner meals
- STD/mobile phone calls
- Sundries such as newspapers or toiletries
- Discharge pharmacy medications
These include but are not limited to:
- Obstetricians fees that are not covered by Medicare and/or your private health insurance
- Blood tests (costs are not entirely covered by Medicare)
- Ultrasounds (costs are not entirely covered by Medicare)
- Specialist costs — anaesthetists, paediatricians and others
- Antenatal and breastfeeding classes
- Antenatal cardiotocography (which is a technical means of recording the foetal heartbeat and the uterine contractions during pregnancy). Note: this cost only applies to outpatient visits, not monitoring undertaken during the labour and birth
Private health insurance
We recommend you contact your health insurer when you are thinking about having a baby so you are fully informed of your private cover and all the inclusions and exclusions. Health funds and policies can vary greatly so we recommended that you ask the following questions:
- Am I covered for obstetrics?
- Is there a waiting period for obstetrics cover?
- What is my excess?
- Do I have co-payments?
- Will I have any other out-of-pocket expenses?
- Do I have family or singles cover?
- Is my baby covered for special care nursery?
We are very happy to assist self-insured patients, who do not have private health insurance but choose to pay to have their baby in a private hospital; as well as patients who have overseas private health insurance.
As soon as possible before your expected due date, please contact our finance team on 07 5430 3335 who will be able to supply you with a quote for a vaginal or c-section delivery. This quote will cover accommodation, birth suite and/or theatre fees. It will not cover special care nursery costs should your baby require admission – this cost can also be supplied by our team upon request.
Patients that have overseas health insurance cover will be issued with a receipt upon discharge from hospital that they can then forward to their overseas insurers for re-imbursement.
Still have a question?
No problem! Please call our Pre-Admission team on 07 5430 3348 with any questions and they will do their best to assist you.