The Overcoming Pain Program uses an interdisciplinary ‘whole-person’ approach, which focuses on promoting self-management plans to meet individual needs by providing education to improve patients’ knowledge and understanding. Our patients learn to implement strategies to improve their ability to manage their condition and pain experience, and gain control over their life.
About the program
The Overcoming Pain Program is for people who have:
• Persistent pain which is limiting their lifestyle and ability to perform everyday tasks
• No further surgical or medical treatments indicated at the current time
• Been unable to return to their full work duties or usual activities
The goals of the program include:
• Increase self-esteem and confidence
• Improve understanding of pain physiology and how it impacts your life
• Improve physical function
• Facilitate return to daily activities or work duties
• Improve ability to manage pain and gain control of your life by utilising a supervised exercise program and adaptive coping strategies, in addition to other lifestyle management strategies
• Promote a reduction in the use of medication
The Overcoming Pain Program is group-based, usually with six to eight participants. We offer a variety of program options which will be discussed with you during your initial appointment with the pain medicine and/or rehabilitation specialist.
Indications for referral include:
• Pain for more than three months
• Pain that has not responded to medical or surgical treatment
• Increased reliance on medication to cope with pain
• Difficulty with returning to work due to ongoing pain
• Excessive dependency on health care professionals
The multi-disciplinary team includes pain medicine and rehabilitation specialists, physiotherapist, exercise physiologist, occupational therapist, psychologist and dietician.
Suitability and referral
If you are interested in attending this program, please speak to your doctor who can make a referral to the program. The referral form is available here.
Buderim Private Hospital’s Overcoming Pain Program costs may be supported by:
• Private health funds
• Department of Veterans’ Affairs
For further information about funding options, please call our team on 07 5430 3273.
Program developed in partnership with Sports & Spinal and Dr Paul Frank